Saturday, June 20, 2009

Blame it on the Rain


Ok, so why is www.weather.com now one of the most visited sites on my computer? You might say, now that’s a silly question Emily, you live in Portland, Oregon. Yes, we all know that Portland has some of the most unpredictable weather ever, but honestly, this year has been worse than some. I guess it also doesn’t help that I work at a restaurant with an outdoor patio, where summer is the season to make money, and winter turns the waterfront into a desolate barren no-mans-land. That really puts the pressure on summer weather to deliver. I mean seriously, we only get three months of sunny weather per year round these parts.

The problem is this; May’s weather was extremely unseasonably warm. For three weeks it was almost 90 degrees and gorgeous, and now it’s back to typical June weather in Portland; overcast, rainy and cool. But, do the people that write my work schedule consider this, oh no, not for a second. For the last two weeks I was scheduled outside four out of my five night shifts. Now that’s pushing it. Luckily, I’ve found a way to weasel my way into scoring shifts, just like I always do, but it’s a major pain in the you-know-what.

So, I’m blaming it on the rain. All my problems, worries and woes are now the fault of the weather alone. I’ve come to really like this philosophy. It takes a lot of pressure off of me, and I’m not so bitter towards my managers. I suggest others start blaming it on the rain as well, or the snow, or the humidity, or whichever other weather conditions you might have to live with. I might just start blaming it all on Zeus, and that way we can put a face to a name. Or we could blame it all on Milli Vanilli for “performing” such a brainless but addicting song that I haven’t been able to get out of my head since I thought of the title for this post. Either way, don’t blame it on me, and don’t always trust the 10 day forecast. Even the internet gods are wrong sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment