Thursday, May 21, 2009

Money Doesn’t Grow on Trees, or Does It?


Yesterday I just happened to get stuck watching the news. Ugh! These days, I rarely watch any news anymore, (except BBC) because to me it’s all a bunch of scare tactics that I don’t really want to buy into. However, on yesterday’s broadcast, the mention of Oregon’s rising unemployment rate caught my attention, so I decided to do a little research of my own. Did you know that since September 2008 our unemployment rate has risen from 6.2 to a startling 12.9? No wonder I can’t find a job in this damn city!

Anyway, everyone knows that money is tight right now. It’s especially frustrating for my boyfriend and me, as I’m sure it is to other young homeowners, who want to put a lot of work into our house this summer. The plan has been to finish with most of the landscaping and gardening while the weather is nice, as the place has long needed a little bit of help with its curb appeal. But, surprise, surprise, these improvements can cost quite a bit of money. Between soil, seeds, plants, trellises, cages, etc., things can really add up, not to mention put a damper on our spirits.

So, yesterday as we were browsing the plant section in Bimart on Se Woodstock, (which has a great garden center by the way) it hit me! Let’s make our own tomato cages instead of buying pieces of metal for $13 a pop. It worked out perfectly since the side of our house is already overgrown with bamboo from our neighbor’s yard. What a fun project it turned out to be, and it also lead to the beginning of our next project, clearing out the side yard. Anyhow, my point is this; it’s amazing the ways you can save money when you think outside the box, and let some of your creativity take over. I know we are super proud of our bamboo tee pee tomato cages, and I’m pretty sure the neighbors are starting to get jealous over the progress of our yard. Check ‘em out!

1 comment:

  1. Emily, that is a fantastic idea. I'm impressed. Once Matt and I actually get used to having time on our hands once again, I think I may well hijack your idea for my own use!

    That being said, beautiful writing my dear! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete