Sunday, March 13, 2011

Tea-riffic Times


I had a great time this past Thursday night attending the first ever Tea Tasting Dinner put on at McCormick and Schmick's Harborside by the Tao of Tea. My date was a close friend who loves tea as much as I do, and it was really nice to step out of the box and do something a bit different than what our normal girl's nights usually entail.
We started with mojitos infused with Moroccan mint tea and also sipped on a non-alcoholic sparkling Hibiscus Ginger cocktail--SO refreshing.
Next it was time to move on to the fabulous food, prepared by Chef Josh (my second favorite chef in the world). Each course was paired with one or two hot teas from the Tao's extensive collection.
First, the Jade Cloud Noodle Bowl with Jade Cloud Green Tea. Second, and hands down everyone's favorite, Lapsang Souchong Spiced Chicken with Oolong infused Red Rice served with Green Dragon Oolong, as well as a Malty Assam. Third, we had a fabulous Coho Salmon with a Lapsang Cream Sauce along with a deliciously spicy and smoky Lapsang Souchong Tea (my personal favorite). Lastly, it was on to dessert, 500 Mile Chai Infused Ice Cream! I think this is the absolute best ice cream on earth! I have honestly never tasted anything like this...in my dreams this would be my dessert after every meal.
There was a bit of trouble with the Chai Tea that was supposed to be paired with the ice cream, so we skipped tea on the last course. Honestly, it didn't matter at that point, as everyone at our table was happily full of delicious food, and buzzed off tea? I didn't know that could happen but I went with it. I also never realized that tea could be infused with food in so many innovative ways, and if I hadn't stepped outside of my comfort zone to try something new, I probably never would have. 
For $20 per person, this dinner was a steal, and hopefully it was the first of many more to come. I strongly suggest checking out the Tao of Tea if you haven't already.  The link is still under my Favorite Portland Places, and it will remain there for some time. To view more pictures, you can "friend" The Tao of Tea on Facebook, and check out their album from March 10th. Trust me, the pictures of this food are absolutely gorgeous. Here's a sneak peak...YUM!

1 comment:

  1. this sounds FANTASTIC! i'm a huge fan of assam's and never thought about using it with food. you're so right when you say it was a steal for $20. i'd pay that twice over for what sounds like a remarkable meal.

    ReplyDelete