Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Birthday Bliss

Birthdays come and go, and this year's wasn't feeling too exciting for me, as turning 31 isn't really that big of a milestone. Two years ago I decided to start Pdxpectations, as I was turning 29, and feeling quite anxious about embarking on the final year of my twenties. Now, I'm actually thrilled to be done with my twenties and moving on to bigger and better things. At the age of thirty-one I will watch my brother get married, and then be married myself just a few short months later. I can honestly say that these two events alone will probably make 31 one of the best years of my life...or as a great friend of mine recently put it, thirty-wonderful.
Last year, for my thirtieth birthday, I had a fabulously wild party in my front yard, complete with homemade red chili enchiladas, a vibrant blue pinata and some very tasty bubble gum vodka. In the company of great friends, we danced the night away to Deee-Lite and Lady Gaga. It wasn't until the authorities stopped by to ask us to turn the music down, to which I replied defiantly, "It's MY birthday party and I don't know when we'll be quieting down!", that I realized we weren't quite acting our age. That being said, this year I wanted to keep my celebration much simpler and low key. After all, I'm about to be a wife and eventually a mother, it's time to start showing some restraint.
I feel like I've actually been celebrating my birthday all month. With my best friend just recently in town for a long weekend, we were out and about around town much more than I typically am. We had a lot of fun, but between her visiting, all the wedding planning that's been going on lately, and the planning and execution of our new vegetable garden (more on that later), I really wanted a relaxing day in celebration of my 31st.
Enter The Barefoot Sage, one of Portland's best kept secrets. Located unassumingly on SE 18th & Hawthorne, this amazing sanctuary could not have come into my life at a more opportune moment. Thank goodness for my dear friend who set up our amazing afternoon of relaxation.
Walking in to this oasis of "foot zen", I was immediately struck by the sweet soothing aromas of lavender and peppermint. The entire space is decorated in tones of purple and blue with subtle accents of gold, giving it a very relaxed Mediterranean feel. As soon as I set eyes on the plush purple couches, I knew we were in for quite a treat. So we settled in for an hour of foot soaks, complete with heated neck wraps, hot tea served on silver platters and the most amazing foot massage I've ever had. This decadent pampering was exactly what I needed to ring in my 31st with the type of vibe I hope to carry with me for the next year. I certainly forgot all about my wedding stresses and woes, and for a moment actually relished in the thought that it will all work out the way it's supposed to. 
The lobby of the Barefoot Sage.
Soothing colors and the couches hidden behind the curtains.
From the street you would never guess the oasis that exists inside.
We finished off the afternoon with a late lunch at Jake's Famous Crawfish, a few glasses of bubbly and a fabulous shopping trip in NW Portland that included a stop at my new favorite shop Little Things, owned by the fabulous Andrea Angell. All in all, I couldn't have asked for a better way to celebrate the beginning of the first year of the rest of my life. Check out my link to the Barefoot Sage under my favorite Portland Places to learn more about the holistic therapies and treatments they offer to soothe your tired feet. This place is a must visit, especially if you're a member of the ever exhausting service industry. Birthday or not, you owe it to yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment